Building Enclosures Consulting
Applying our scientific and engineering knowledge to the failure analysis of building components is the core of our professional services. Apollo BBC professionals are experts in the design, installation, and repair of architectural enclosure systems. We utilize our field-based experience of building construction, along with scientific expertise, to identify root causes of failures and repair solutions.
Experienced in architecture, mechanical engineering, structural engineering, and building enclosure performance analysis, our team works together to assure successful integration of the various building sciences and interrelationships of building systems and components.
The unique whole building approach sets us apart and enables us to provide technical assistance in a variety of ways, whether during the design, construction, or operation of a building.
Failure Analysis and Prevention
To identify the root cause of failures in wall and roof assemblies, we utilize our knowledge of material properties as well as practical real world installation experience. Instead of partial repairs, our consultants find and implement lasting solutions.
- Building Enclosure Failure Origin and Cause Analysis and Condition Assessment
- Moisture Intrusion and Air Barrier Continuity Diagnostic Testing
- HVAC Contribution Analysis
- Building Enclosure Inspection and Monitoring
Simulation of Assembly Performance
Computational analysis is an effective way to evaluate materials and systems relative to one another, providing useful information to designers in selecting building enclosure types and materials. We can identify failures in walls assemblies prior to installation and provide energy conservation advice that can be weighed against the first cost of construction.
- Hygrothermal Simulation of Assemblies (WUFI)
- ASHRAE’s Dew Point Analysis of Assemblies
- Component Based Heat Transfer Simulation for Windows and Doors
Apollo BBC is an asset to architects designing high performance and critical concern buildings during the schematic and design development phases. We provide insight, unique to consultants with hands on experience, regarding material selection and construction detailing. Our consultants ensure continuity of air barrier, operational vapor retarder, drainage plane, and thermal insulation. We look at the big picture and provide actionable advice.
- High Performance Enclosure Design and Concept Integration Consulting
- Architectural Design Review of Performance Based Systems
- Schematic Remedial Design
- Construction Document Production
Claims & Litigation Support
Apollo BBC consultants provide opinions and recommendations that are clear, concise, and correct. Our written deliverables stand the test of scrutiny and our experts are able to successfully articulate and defend our positions.
- Moisture Intrusion Origin and Cause Analysis
- Wind Versus Rain Damage Assessment
- Structural Failures Relating to Wall and Roof Systems
Envelope Commissioning & Quality Assurance
Building Enclosure Commissioning utilizes the Commissioning Process to verify that the design meets the owner’s requirements and that the systems and components are installed and perform according to the construction documents. Enclosure Commissioning is a quality assurance process being adopted by high performance projects that typically includes design review and installation inspections for foundations and basement construction, vertical enclosure assemblies, and roofing systems.
- Owner’s Project Requirements (OPR) Documentation
- Enclosure Commissioning Scoping and Specification Creation
- Design Peer Review for Enclosure Systems
- Construction Phase Quality Assurance and Installation Verification
- Issues Tracking and Completion Management
- Performance Testing of Assemblies
Our Field Services Division, Blue Quality Services, performs quality control performance testing services for installed and pre-manufactured units.
Blue Quality Services is a full-service testing laboratory accredited by the American Architectural Manufacturers Association (AAMA). Accreditation is required to perform the most commonly specified field tests for architectural products.
Performance testing is a quantitative assessment of building performance and is best used in concert with a robust quality assurance program. These testing services are designed to provide our clients with proof of concept, document the quality of their work, mitigate risk of failure, and to diagnose problem conditions.
- AAMA 501.2 – Quality Assurance and Diagnostic Water Leakage Field Check of Installed Storefronts, Curtain Walls, and Sloped Glazing Systems
- AAMA 502 – Field Testing of Newly Installed Fenestration Products
- AAMA 503 – Field Testing of Storefronts, Curtain Walls, and Sloped Glazing Systems
- ASTM E283 – Determining Rat of Air Leakage Through Exterior Windows, Curtain Walls, and Doors Under Specified Pressure Difference
- ASTM E783 – Field Measurement of Air Leakage Through Installed Exterior Windows and Doors
- ASTM E1105 – Field Determination of Water Penetration of Installed Exterior Windows, Skylights, Doors, and Curtain Walls
Apollo BBC focuses on aspects of high performance buildings, including building enclosure systems, MEP performance, sustainability, and energy conservations. We provide our clients with Better Answers.